Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Midnight Disease

As you may have noticed, I have a problem with writing consistency. I will write everyday for two weeks, then maybe once a week for another three weeks. I will freely admit that I suffer from hypergraphia (the medical term for an overpowering desire to write), but what I did not know is that hypergraphia also leads to writers block. I have recently acquired a marvelous book on writing and hypergraphia titled The Midnight Disease, by Alice W. Flaherty. This is a very interesting read not only for writers, but for those who enjoy books but constantly find themselves picking up and putting down a book over a long period of time. We are driven to write or read something, but are unable to keep an attention span towards the subject for very long. It sucks, trust me.

Anyway, when I finish the book I plan on doing an essay on the subject. I know, right now you are probably asking yourself “well if he just admitted that he is inconsistent, will he actually write an essay on hypergraphia or will he have a mental block because of it?” Well I can assure you, I will (write it, not have a mental block). And if you doubt my claim, pick up the book and you will soon understand why I am not only inconsistent, but why I cannot avoid writing for very long.

Anyway, I went to the Primus show Sunday night. Primus always puts on an amazing display, but they dragged out their songs so long that it felt like they wanted to be Pink Floyd, and their song selection was mediocre, at best. I still think they are great, and Les Claypool is the greatest bass player to ever live, but it could have been a better show. So, that is all for now, I am going to go get Scrubs on, stay classy Sacramento.

-B
If Heaven is for real, I wish you’d send me on my way

No comments: