Friday, January 26, 2007

Punk In Drublic

The first time I saw NOFX I was 15. Last night, I was 26. I’m positive that I don’t have to mention how old I felt. The fact that Fat Mike is now in his 40’s however did give me a little comfort. Punk rock may get old, but it never dies, and it’s hard to find a better punk rock show than NOFX. Last night was no exception.

Starting off with the 18 minute “The Decline”, NOFX played a full 90 minutes. Not only is that incredibly long by punk standards, but it measures up to some larger acts whose shows could have been a bit longer (Primus, you listening?). Blasting thru a set of mostly classic NOFX tunes, the band proved they are not just a novelty act for those hoping to catch one of the last remaining punk bands before they die. I wouldn’t go so far as to call NOFX the Rolling Stones of punk, but I’d give them The Who or Metallica any day.

For those who are not aware of NOFX, check out this poorly constructed link for a little info. Here is a far more entertaining link just in case Wikipedia doesn’t do it for you. If you get the chance to see them, do it. And if you need a good starting off point, start with their best record, Punk In Drublic, and work your way backwards. Then, if you like what you hear, go forward from that point on.

-B
Possessions never meant anything to me

No comments: