Friday, January 04, 2008

Hunger Strike



Surreal moments are hard to explain. Hell, sometimes they are even hard to identify, as we are so caught up in the moment that we don't bother to mentally step back and take it all in. But this time was different. I was driving along listening to the radio when one of my favorite songs that I never think about came on; "Hunger Strike" by Temple of the Dog. One of the best songs of the 90's by one of the few true supergroups around (even if we didn't know it at the time), and I never seem to think about listening to it until it comes on the radio. As soon as I hear those opening riffs, I am unable to change the channel and compelled by some magical force to turn it up. It's just that damn good of a song. Anyway, the vocals hit right as I was stopping at a red light. I turn to my left to glance out the window and I see this woman in an SUV, probably only a couple years older than, definitely a Gen-Xer. And she is singing the lyrics to the same song I am listening to. So I glance out the right side window, and I see a man doing the same fucking thing. So they we are, all 3 of us strangers, sitting at a light in Roseville, quietly singing the same song. Throw in the gray skies and the feel of Seattle in the air, and you get one of the most surreal moments I have ever experienced. I don't know why that felt so weird to me, but I just thought it was a cool little fluke in life that never seems to happen. Anyway, for those of you who are still confused about the song or just don't care, take a listen. That's all for today, I'm off to listen to some grunge. Where's my flannel shirt?

-B
I can't feed on the powerless when my cup's already overfilled


Technorati : , , , , ,

No comments: