Friday, March 03, 2006

The 5th Beatle

Music of Choice:
The Used – Light With A Sharpened Edge

Have you ever experienced the anticipation of waiting for that new album from that band you really like, only to have that experience manifest into sheer disappointment when the album was actually released? I have had that feeling a few times in the past couple of months, and here are a few examples:

Matchbook Romance – Voices
Finch – Say Hello To Sunshine
Thrice –Vheissu

These are but a few of the albums I was really looking forward to until I actually bought them. Its not that I was expecting something amazing, I wasn’t. But I was expecting a worthy effort and instead was given a shift in musical direction that the band just did not need to take. I completely understand wanting to expand your music and experimentation with sounds and song writing styles. However, that does not excuse these horrible attempts at reinvention. Why do bands feel the need to constantly reinvent themselves with every album? It is not necessary. A slow progress is fine, but put in a little effort for Christ’s sake. I mean seriously, these albums are REALLY bad compared to their predecessors:

Matchbook Romance – Stories & Alibi’s
Finch – What It Is To Burn
Thrice – The Artist In The Ambulance

Hell, Finch’s first record is one of my all time favorites, and I have literally over a thousand CD’s in my collection. Anyways, I am done bitching about that, just had to get it all out before it seeped thru the cracks in my brain and entered the land of lost faxes and text messages. Moving on…

I have a new album review pending finalization; however I think I just mentioned my opinion of it, but I would still appreciate any feedback. I am trying to improve my review skills and would appreciate any feedback, whether positive or negative. It is something I have always enjoyed doing and would like to take it up a notch by sending them in to local free publications and things like that, but I need to figure out the kinks and get my writing style fluent and concise, so expect the new review up later tonight or tomorrow. Peace.

-B
“I’ll let you know when I go, when I’m gone

No comments: