Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Dream Weaver

Music of Choice:
Counting Crows – Mrs. Potter’s Lullaby

I have often wondered why we dream. Why do our brains conjure up images of vaguely familiar objects, sounds, landscapes, and people that we may or may not have even met before? What do they mean, if anything? Are they trying to tell us something, something we should know or be learning, or be aware of? Or are they simply random images made up of recent experiences with sight, sound, and memory?

I have this reoccurring dream that scares the shit out of me. I have had it for just about every night in these last 4 weeks. Its so scary that I wake up freaked out, covered in sweat, and shaking so badly I reach for my iron pills on instinct that I may be low on iron, until I realize I am shivering form the dream, not iron deficiency. The worst part is I don’t recognize any of it. I have dreams that have, in some way or another, come true. That feeling of me being somewhere at sometime, and thinking something was going to happen, then it does within a few minutes. That’s some scary shit.

I haven’t slept more than 2-3 hours a night for weeks. I have never been much of a sleeper, but this is worse than ever. I get up at 4 a.m. and don’t even try to sleep until 10 and then I toss and turn, then wake up from my dream (nightmare?) and go back to sleep for an hour, then get up for work. I don’t believe in dreams to be honest. I don’t believe in those dream books that claim to dissect dreams and unlock the mysteries of your mind or some other wackiness, its just bullshit. I just can’t figure out why I keep having the some dream and, more importantly, when I get to finally sleep again.

-B
If dreams are like movies than memories are films about ghosts

No comments: