Thursday, July 19, 2007

In A Car Under Water With Time To Kill



The human psyche is a wonderful and mysterious thing. We, as humans have the capacity to understand mortality without even so much as a vague conception of death. We have the power to create and the will to destroy, all possible without a second thought of consequence. Whenever I am presented with a display of just how distant we are from understanding our very own humanity, I silently hope that it will be the last time we are confronted with opportunity to look a little closer and learn something about ourselves. As if this final glimpse into humanity is all it takes to understand why we do what we do to each other. Naturally, I walk away disappointed, amazed at the blatant disregard for the thirst of knowledge, traded away for the convenience of fear and ignorant bliss. Fear is a powerful enemy. We fear what we don't understand, what seems foreign to us. Fear causes us to burn bridges instead of build them. It's always somehow easier to walk away than to take that first step forward. I have tried all my life to understand why people make decisions based on fear, and I am not one step closer to understanding it than I was 27 years ago. But I have learned one thing; I would rather be remembered for my failures than forgotten for the amazing things I never tried.

-B
now something has kept me here too long, and you can't leave me if I'm already gone


Technorati :

No comments: