Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Too Legit Too Quit

So I was in Togo’s today purchasing a hot pastrami sandwich, because that’s how I roll, when suddenly a song came on. That song: Xanadu. I shit you not, I was in a fast food restaurant being served by 3 teenage females (and I mean served in the least sexual way possible) listening to a song that A) deserves no radio play, B) most certainly does not belong in a sandwich shop, and C) was released before anybody in that entire building was even born. Ok, it came out the years I was born, but that doesn’t count. Now you may be asking yourself why I would see this as such an anomaly and one could certainly argue that there are far greater mysteries in the universe than attempting to understand the social significance of a shitty song being played in a mediocre sandwich shop. Anyway, my point is this; what radio station lackey decided to play that song?

Did someone wake up in the morning and decide that we as a society need another reminder of an 80’s cult movie that was accompanied by a terrible soundtrack? Were they sipping coffee in their Jaguar on the ride to work and suddenly felt the urge to dance and shimmy to some futuristic ABBA-type discothèque one hit wonder that never deserved to be a hit in the first place? I mean god damn, why would someone make me listen to that song? Why would someone even WRITE that song? You people are trying to kill me aren’t you? Fuck Xanadu.

-B
You’re not punk, and I’m tellin’ everyone

No comments: