Monday, May 01, 2006

A Spoony Kind Of Love

I want to live where soul meets body. I do no know why I want to live there, as I would assume my soul meets my body somewhere around the heart, the lungs, the brain, or maybe the colon. I want to live there because Ben Gibbard says he wants to, and as we all know, the lead singer of Death Cab For Cutie knows the exact location of all that is tranquil and peaceful. At least that is the message I get from their music, but I most certainly am wrong. I want to live where soul meets body because right now I live at the crossroads of foot meets mouth and hand meets wallet, and I gotta say it’s a crapshoot down here.

I bring this up because I have been thinking about the direction of music lately, which I blame in equal parts on The O.C. and American Idol. We are being bombarded on a daily basis with music that is supposed to make us accept our life as it is and realize it is a good life. The sad truth to this is that Ben Gibbard makes millions of dollars and gets name dropped in The O.C., thus making him 10x cooler than he ever could have been had he been publicly praised by the entire cast of Mork & Mindy. We are constantly reminded that if we sit back, relax, smoke a bowl and spread the love, everything will somehow work out, and that is just plain bullshit.

I hope I never live where soul meets body. Where soul meets body is where you come to grips with yourself, accept who you are, and live out your life in complete bliss knowing that you are happy just by humbly being you. I like the chaos that comes with not knowing who I am or where I am going. I like that when people think they have me figured out, I surprise them by doing something different than what they would expect. We don’t need to live in bliss and harmony and the comfort of knowing we are lucky to just be us. The day I accept who I am is the day I stop trying to advance as a human, and lets face it, we have all got a long way to go in that department. Where does soul meet body? Who fucking cares, I want to know where nympho-strippers meet Bryan. That’s where I want to live.

-B
I want to live where soul meets body

No comments: