Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Album Review - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Artist – Red Hot Chili Peppers
Album – Stadium Arcadium

I have never been a fan of the Peppers. I just wanted to get that out of the way before I type anything that resembles an opinion on their new record. Their new record however is a good one to start with if you ever want to become a fan and have no idea where to begin. The album spans two disks, and opens with their first single “Dani California”, which is always something that bothers me. Never open an album with your first single, because casual listeners usually won’t go past that track. ANYWAY, Stadium Arcadium serves up RHCP’s usual funky grooves and song structures ripped out of Primus’ playbook.

The title track is a smooth paced track, blending funk and alt-country, as if R.E.M. took a vacation in Jamaica and recorded a song about it. “Hump De Bump” is a fun summer song in the making, and “Slow Cheetah” plays so smooth you’d swear your stereo is a pitcher of iced tea pouring funk-flavored sweetness into your ice cold cup of an eardrum. The second disk picks up more of a bass-heavy tone, and “Tell Me Baby” is a track Public Enemy might have recorded. With tracks like “She Looks To Me” it’s not hard to see how their style has changed throughout the years, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Anything after Blood Sugar Sex Magik is ok with me, and they seem to be enjoying that direction.

With two disks of tunes, it is inevitable to have a few throwaway's (Unless your Pink Floyd or Bob Dylan, respectively). I would point those out for you, but I am not an accurate source for that sort of information when it comes to RHCP. My advice, pick it up and give each disk two or three listens. Is Stadium Arcadium enough to make me a fan? I doubt it, but it’s a good place to start. I’m not going to get rid of the album, if that’s any kind of sign.

7 out of 10.
-B

If you like this record, try:

Red Hot Chili Peppers – Californication
Primus – The Brown Album
Sublime - Sublime

No comments: