Sunday, August 06, 2006

This Post Is Copyrighted

So it seems Mel Gibson hates the Jews. If this is news to anybody, that person(s) has undoubtedly been living under a fucking rock. Anyway, Mel’s anti-Semitism is not the main focus of this article, but merely an introduction. I am not sure what Mel Gibson, the Jewish community, and the act of hatred have to do with Papa Roach, but maybe we will figure it out within the next couple paragraphs. I heard the new Papa Roach song today, and I have to say, I prefer them as Papa Roach and not Lostprophets. Or am I the only one who made that connection? I’m not saying I am an elitist asshole or anything, but you people have to take the journey with me here, I can’t do everything for you. This isn’t how a relationship works. Why are you yelling at me? But I love you!

Anyway, since we are discussing groups sounding like one another, lets touch base (or freebase if that’s what you would prefer) on something I have heard a lot about lately and frankly I think people get their damn panties in a bunch over the stupidest shit. The new Red Hot Chili Peppers song “Dani California” apparently sounds vaguely familiar to Tom Petty fans, specifically the Petty song “Last Dance With Mary Jane”. Now I have listened to and studied both of these songs, and I have discovered what I usually discover but nobody believes or cares about so they just keep yelling “foul”, and I am going to explain it to you. See me at paragraph 3.

Welcome to paragraph 3, or “three” for you grammar Nazi’s. Now what most people fail to realize is that even though two songs may sound similar, that does not necessarily mean it is copyright infringement. Nobody bitched about Green Day’s “She’s A Rebel” using the same fucking chord progressions as Jawbreaker’s “Boxcar”, and I think the reason for this is because when both songs are played back to back, it is easy to differentiate, to even the most casual of music fans, that they are in fact two very different songs. This is what has happened with RHCP and Petty. “Dani California” may remind you of “Last Dance With Mary Jane”, but it doesn’t sound enough like it to make someone confuse the two. This leads us to believe that it is not copyright infringement, and that anybody who bitches about it is either a maniacal fan of one of the artist, or is stupid and needs a hobby. Or both.

So what does this have to do with the Jews? Nothing really, but go ask Mel. I’m sure he will tell you that copyright infringement was first started by the Jews as a way to start all the wars of the world, or some bullshit like that. Now go listen to Jawbreaker.

-B
I’m not O-Fucking-K

No comments: