Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Damn I Feel Old

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.[1] As the days float on by like leaves hovering amongst the waves in the river of life, these days are slowing passing us bye. Nothing seems to drive home the length of one’s current life stream as when a younger sibling reaches a pivotal age, namely 21. My lil’ sister Midge (some people say her name is Kellie, but those people are crazy. It’s Midge.) Turned 21 yesterday and she is now legally able to do all the things she has been doing since she was 15. So to all the young huddled masses, I say this; enjoy it while it lasts. It won’t last forever. Sooner or later, the creeping hand of old age glides across our shoulders and deathly whispers into our ear “it is time my son, for you are now one old son of a bitch. I shall see you beyond the void” or something along those lines that makes one assume he or she is of the ripe old age to start the process of dying. That’s a conversation with yourself that usually doesn’t go so well. Everybody wants eternal life, but none can have it. Happy birthday Midge.

-B
Life handed us a paycheck, we said “we worked harder than this!”


[1] SOMEBODY has to know what that is from…

1 comment:

Tracy said...

A Tale of Two Cities

Or am I missing a more obscure reference?

My little brother turned 21 this summer. Made me feel REAL freakin' old and I'm 3 whole years older than him.